Nov 3 2004
iPod.iTunes 2.7 Released
Today crispSofties released version 2.7 of it’s Shareware iPod.iTunes. This iPod utility provides real synchronization of tracks and playlists from any iPod to any Mac, including track info like Rating, Last Played and Play Count.
iPod.iTunes automatically only copies those tracks which are missing in the iTunes library, excluding duplicates. If you wish, it provides also an option to show a list of tracks which are not in iTunes and to copy only desired tracks from that list.
iPod.iTunes can be used to
- Keep music and playlists on different Macs up to date
- Do a full restore of tracks and playlists – i.e. after a hard disk failure
- Revert accident deletion of tracks and/or playlists, if these are still on your iPod
- Clone an iPod
- Transfer an entire music library from one Mac to another via the iPod
Tracks and playlist entries can be synchronized together or separately. If the tracks on the iPod already in the iTunes library and you only want the iPod playlists, you can use the playlist synchronization alone.
For every track synchronization iPod.iTunes creates a date&time stamped iTunes playlist containing the tracks which were transferred. This gives the option to easily add those tracks to existing playlists or to create new playlists from the transferred tracks.
New in iPod.iTunes 2.5 – 2.7:
- Compatibility for iPod firmware 1.4, 2.2, 2.3, 3.0, 3.0.1.
- Compatibility for iTunes 4.5, 4.6, 4.7.
- Compatibility for FileVault.
- Playlist Synchronization: Options to transfer the track Rating, Play Count, Last Played.
- New preference: “Consider Unicode”. Use this if the tracks contain Unicode characters (i.e. French, Danish, Spanish etc.).
- Small interface changes.
- Playlist Synchronization Options: Additionally to track Rating and Play Count, there is now the Last Played date available.
- The Tools tab contains a new function to delete playlists starting with a given string. This can be helpful to easily delete all playlists which where synchronized with a playlist prefix.
- The Help menu has content.
- Track synchronization under Mac OS 10.2.x: Error “936: 10…” fixed.
- Track Synchronization: Fixed a possible problem with Audible files.
- Playlist synchronization didn’t run when there were no tracks to copy (in “Tracks & Playlist” synchronization mode).
- Circumvented a bug in iTunes which sometimes lead to tracks not copied to the iTunes library when they should.
- Circumvented another iTunes bug which could make the startup volume look like an iPod for iPod.iTunes.
- A possible error “921.6.8″ fixed.
- A possible reason for an error “The iPod is not visible in iTunes source column” has been fixed.
- Various enhancements.