Jul 13 2005
The Tiger edition of the popular Mac book, “Mac OS X: The Missing Manual” has been released from O’Reilly. Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger, the newest version of Apple’s elegant and user-friendly operating system, is packed with performance. Pogue reveals Tiger’s powerful new features, and shares secrets and interesting discoveries from his deep exploration of this sleek new OS.
The 864 page book sells for USD$29.95 (CDN$41.95) or can be purchased from Amazon.com for USD$19.77.
Cool features and tips include:
- Spotlight: Search for anything on your computer including files, email,
calendar appointments, contacts, and more; use the keyboard to conduct
special searches, and streamline the search to compress finds
- Automator: Automate tasks and save as icons that are double-clickable;
save workflow as a plug-in or an alarm that runs automatically; batch
- Dashboard: Learn how to use widgets for checking out special interests
like the weather, news, and stock portfolios–including workarounds and
- Menulets: Add useful but secret menulets to the right side of your
- iChat AV: Conduct multi-user chats and add videoconferencing capabilities
for up to three people
- Networked faxing: Use a networked Mac as an outgoing fax machine