Aug 6 2007
While I was busy looking the other way last week, Ambient Design announced the release of ArtRage 2.5, a new paint and drawing application designed with both hobbyists and professionals in mind. ArtRage’s aim is to allow you to paint and draw realistically and with almost endless creative possibilities. The upgrade is free to existing owners of ArtRage 2 or purchased as a download only, for USD$25.00.
ArtRage, users have a readily accessible choice of canvas sizes, paper textures and mediums such as oils, pencils, crayons, airbrush, chalk and markers that can be blended with the palette knife tool. Artists can also use a pre-set color palette or customize one for their own project preferences. In ArtRage 2.5, Photoshop compatible transparent layers can be used for advanced compositions and photos and images are easily recreated as paintings. ArtRage supports Wacom’s pen tablets, allowing the artist to draw and paint with pressure sensitivity.
Among the new features are:
- Intuitive Interface: The software’s interface has been simplified and made easier for the artist to use.
- Stencils and Rulers: These look and work the way traditional media artists expect.
- Import Images to Layers: This feature allows ArtRage 2.5 to work seamlessly with other graphics applications. Artists can now import an image as a separate layer, copy and/or paste layers or paste directly from the clipboard into a new layer.
- Move, scale and rotate the content of the image layers: in groups or individually.
- Printing Resolution Support: Image files support the creation and measurements in inches, centimeters and millimeters with full control over Dots Per Inch settings. This is also retained in PSD import and export.
- Smooth Blender and Precise Pencil: Two new tools have been added for users for a more precise look to their work. The Precise Pencil works like a mechanical pencil for a precise clean line. The Smooth Blender gives soft-edge subtle blending.
- Import and Export Photoshop and Other Image Formats: ArtRage 2.5 has added additional image formats for importing and exporting. Support for Photoshop PSD layer groups and image layer names has also been added.