Feb 4 2009
The app I’m hoping will pick up where Quicksilver dropped off got updated today. Google Quick Search is a very Quicksilveresque application that searches for files, launches applications, explores the file system to discover content and perform actions like Spotlight, but also does Google searches as well.
The new version released today is Google Quick Search Box 22.214.171.1248 (Titanium). Here are the changes:
- Added support for pivoting on System Preferences to see Preference Panes.
- Add Large type action.
- Fixes issues with pivoting on directories
- Fixes issue where QSB couldn’t be run in two login sessions at the same time (thanks to jacobc for tracking this down).
- Fixes issue where QSB would use a huge amount of memory when Camino and Safari Bookmarks were updated (thanks to motownavi for tracking this down).
- Developer Documentation source now waits for more data before returning results to cut down on noise.
- Improved UI responsiveness when typing in queries.
- Shared File List source now updates properly.
- Results are now more comprehensive with less duplication.
- iTunes actions should now be easier to find at top level, and will appear when pivoting into the iTunes.app result.
- Icons now load more efficiently trying not to block the user interface.
- Real Memory usage is down significantly.
- Refactored account management to ease the addition of new account types through the introduction of account plugins and HGSSimpleAccount.
- Added a Twitter account and a Twitter ‘send status’ action as an example of an account plugin using HGSSimpleAccount.
- Contacts now return subfields such as email address, phone number etc. as results when pivoted on.
- Added a filter box for Searchable Items in Preferences.
- Fixed up issue where composer, artist, etc in an iTunes search could be listed as (NULL).
You’ll notice that Quick Search now supports Twitterâ€”very cool! For a little more on Google’s Quick Search, see our previous article on the subject.
According to this thread on the Google Quick Search Box Central Discussion on Google Groups, here is the procedure to update Twitter via Quick Search:
- Open preferences
- Go to the accounts pane
- Click on "add"
- Choose Twitter
- add your info
- close preferences
- bring up QSB
- hit the spacebar, and then type what you want to tweet
- choose the Twitter action