May 29 2008
Toon Boom Animation Inc. and educational publisher FableVision today announced the release of Animation-Ish, a program that allows people to unleash their creativity through easy, “do-it-yourself” animation.
The program is hosted by New York Times Bestselling children’s book author/illustrator and creativity advocate Peter H. Reynolds, FableVision’s founder and chief executive officer. The program follows the “ish” philosophy that art pieces don’t need to create a mirror image of reality to effectively convey ideas. Reynolds uses a playful, low-stress approach to coach children and adults to think “ishfully” about their art and be brave about expressing their creativity and originality.
“Too many people say, ‘I can’t draw.’ I constantly remind kids and adults that their creations don’t have to be perfect, they just have to be ‘perfect-ish,’ which is where the name Animation-ish came from,” said Reynolds. To help users overcome their possible reluctance toward drawing, Reynolds personally guides users through the program with dozens of video clips featuring drawing tips, and samples of his own artwork.
- More than 50 “Inspire Me” video clips with Peter H. Reynolds
- Three animation skill-levels
- “Project Vault” with Reynolds’ drawings and starter ideas
- “Share” feature for exporting into multiple formats
- 24 lessons written by teachers for teachers
- Additional lessons written by teachers available online
- Additional tutorials by Reynolds and the animators of FableVision available online
Animation-ish is offered in two versions: retail and educational. The price for Animation-ish is USD$59.95 for a single copy. The Educational version which includes a printed Classroom Edition User’s Guide is offered at USD$499.95 for a 10-computer license, or USD$999.95 for a 25-computer license.