Jul 24 2007
Intego has announced the public beta release of its new FileGuard X4 data protection program. FileGuard X4 creates virtual safes that provide unbreakable protection for sensitive files. Users can create as many safes as they need for different types of files; send sensitive files to others with “no risk” and store safes on servers or external disks with “full security”.
FileGuard X4 is intended to meet the needs of mobile users who have sensitive files on their laptops, as well as home and business users who want to ensure that their confidential data is protected. Unlike Apple’s FileVault, which requires that users encrypt their entire home folder, FileGuard X4 lets users choose which files or folders they want to protect, and only the ones they want to protect. FileGuard X4′s virtual safes are easy-to-use, practical, and flexible, offering many options, such as permissions for shared access, simple drag-and-drop copying to and from safes, and unbreakable encryption.
As with any beta software, users of FileGuard X4 run the risk of discovering bugs in the application. Using software that is intended to envelope your data in an unbreakable, encrypted “safe” is especially dangerous as application may concievably malfunction in a way that prevents you from retrieving your files. Please backup you data before testing any beta software.
Features of FileGuard X4:
- Store sensitive files in secure virtual safes
- Industry-standard encryption makes safes unbreakable
- Create as many safes as you need
- Set a different password for each safe
- Create safes by drag-and-drop, or from the Intego menu
- Safes increase in capacity as you add more files
- Change the size of a safe or compress it to save space
- Open safes by a simple double-click in the Finder
- Protect sensitive files on laptops in case of loss or theft
- Protect files on portable media, such as iPods or USB key drives
- Safes work like folders – drag files to and from your safes
- Safe icons indicate their status (open or closed)
- Use floating windows to access safes at all times
- Send safes by e-mail, or store them on servers or external disks
- Set read and write permissions for safes stored on shared volumes
FileGuard X4 requires Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) or higher and 20 MB hard disk space.